Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Playing D&D with Skype and Gametable

I know there are many of you out there that play in skype gaming sessions regularly, and perhaps some of you could enlighten me a bit.  I'm currently trying to convince some of my old gaming crew (the ones separated by time/distance) that we can use skype and a virtual table top like OpenRPG+ or Gametable to run a D&D game once or twice a month.  This will give me a perfect opportunity to playtest my Dreadrock megadungeon project as well, so I wouldn't have to do much in the way of prep for the game.
 

For those of you that do use this method to play D&D, what sort of advice can you give?  What are the best programs for incorporating the virtual table top element?  Which one is easiest to use, import maps into, etc?

4 comments:

  1. I play a weekly game (albeit a Star Wars one) using Mumble & MapTools. Map Tools is great, if you don't mind a bit of extra work setting it up; cross-platform, easy to import maps, and if you get a nice set of macros, it speeds up play a lot too. It's the only one I've used to any extent; there is also one called Battlegrounds that I used to start off with, but had too much trouble with it. The latest version might work better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Simon. Thank you. The main thing I'm worried about is the importing of maps and the time it may take to produce them. I imagine one could also use image dungeon tiles to speed it up as well. Definitely going to look into maptools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used Fantasy Grounds to run both Labyrinth Lord/DND and 4e DND. I've even downloaded some other rules mods. Check it out if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now the real question is...can you play online with your friends...and simultaneously be running a real-life game with your roommate :-)

    ReplyDelete