Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gas-Lite RPG - Weird Science Fantasy Roleplay

What did you do at work today?  Me? I spent my day at work designing an incredibly rules light RPG (the title is an intentional pun) I'm calling Gas-Lite. It's designed as a weird fantasy game with some steampunk elements thrown in. There are basic rules for three classes: Explorer, Sorcerer, and Technologist.  I also developed some really light rules for combat, some weapons, and a few spells to get those sorcerers right in the mix.

Still not sure how I want to go about presenting it. I would like to make it a small book somewhat in the scope of Weird West, but sadly I think I would have to scale back some of what I have already (which isn't a lot as it is.)  Then again, I might just post the rules here on the blog and let people click that little pdf button on the bottom to print copies out.  I'm going to edit what I have tonight, and hopefully post it up this evening. If there is significant interest, I may further develop certain areas like added spells, creatures of myth, airships, and possibly a campaign setting. 

The game itself is bare bones, but there are significant options to customize it to any style game be it high fantasy, sci-fi, or horror. Personally, I am looking at it as a combination with more of a focus on the weird.  We'll see, but I'm anxious to get input.

**EDIT** - Gaslite is now here in 2 forms: A mini pocketmod version for printing and a digital version for convenient viewing on your mobile device/computer.

Download the printable PDF pocketmod version of Gaslite RPG here.
Download the digital friendly version here. 

Folding instructions for the pocketmod version can be found here.

**EDIT** Thanks for the heads-up there Ohio. Name of the project is Gas-Lite as of now.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'm feeling the whole victorian/steampunk genre at the moment, so I shall watch with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, Simon. I think the game combines a lot of elements and may be seen as kind of a melting pot of ideas, but the main focus will be weird steampunkish fantasy with a slight Cthulhu flavor to it. That's how I am envisioning it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a heads up - there's a D20 Modern supplement out there called Gaslight that deals with Victorian-era fantasy. Not that I'm telling you not to use the name, but you never know if a company will get a bug up its butt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh thanks for the heads up Ohio. I doubt this game is much like that one at all, but I don't want to invoke the ire of whoever may hold a copyright. I guess I should have googled the name. This thing is still in some early stages so changing the name won't be a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps I will simply call it Gas-lite then. The idea was to be a play on words with the whole "rules lite" approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem! Just helping out where I can. I actually have a PDF copy of the one I'm talking about and it's pretty cool, although not in the "weird" vein.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool stuff. THis is relevant to my interests. :) Downloaded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob! Hi there, it's Rob from the Free RPG Blog. The Mediafire links to the game are dead! Andy chance of getting them back online? Google Docs is a good place. I want to include Gaslite in my Pocketmod roundup. Get in touch through my website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Any chance of re uploading your gas-lite pocketmod, all the links to it seem to be dead.

    ReplyDelete