Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

D&D Metal Background Music


Tomorrow, myself and a few of my old gaming group from years ago will be finally gathering around the table again for some good old fashioned table top role playing.  I'm going to be DMing the campaign, and our plan is to gather once a month to play.  If any of you have followed my blog over the past few months, you probably know that we've been running a play-by-post D&D game via a private forum we have, and while it has been fun, there's nothing quite like sitting at the table together.  I've spent some time planning out a few adventure scenarios, drawing maps and the like (which I'll be sharing here soon), and it struck me that it would be quite awesome to play some music in the background while we play.  And what better music to have running in the background than some D&D/fantasy inspired heavy metal?

Of course, there are the classics like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, etc., but I wanted to go further than that.  In the process, I've discovered some pretty amazing metal bands with fantasy inspired lyrics and songs.  While the debate on whether they are truly "metal" could rage on for days, they do share common qualities associated with the sub-genre known as "power metal."  Here's a list of some of the bands that will be appearing on our campaign soundtrack:

The Sword
Dream Evil
Blind Guardian
Hammerfall
Nightwish
Iced Earth
DragonForce
Falconer
Demons & Wizards
Therion

These are just some of the bands I've found with good fantasy lyrics and a thrashing metal sound.  If any of you readers have some good recommendations for me to add, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Some of these can probably help: Battlelore, Bal Sagoth, Bathory, Turisas, Elvenking, Corvus Corax, Korpiklaani, Arkona, Theatre of Tragedy, Leaves' Eyes, Mithotyn, Einherjer, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Xandria, Within Temptation, Stormwitch. If you don't mind to listening to songs in other languages, I also recommend Lumsk, Fejd, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, and Arkona

    ReplyDelete