Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Everything Changes

Well, it's been close to a year since my last update. I've noticed that many in the OSR community of bloggers have apparently fallen by the wayside, and while my lone voice in the wilderness pales in comparison to these on the A list of OSR blogs, I have been no exception to this.

The truth is, my life over the past year has changed dramatically.  From a personal standpoint I've been in the process of a divorce, which has completely halted my ability to DM any d&do games.  Couple that with my reentry into warhammer 40k, and my time for blogging had become akin to zero.  Even my time for reading my favorite blogs became non existent. So, it surprised me to see so many OSR blogs devoid of content.  I'm not sure if this is due to the rise of google+ amongst our community, personal issues or a combination thereof, all I can speak to is my own personal issues.

That said, although my time for game mastering has dwindled, I am still actively involved in the gaming scene. Currently I'm in the midst of a barbarian campaign being ran in 2nd edition system by one of my best friends. It has been an enjoyable campaign and we usually try to meet up once per month or so to play. Work schedules and distance can sometimes get in the way, but we meet as often as we can and we've had about ten sessions over the past 10 months.

As to most of my gaming time, it has been sucked into 40k.  When I got back into the war gaming scene, I had forgotten how time consuming it could be. Collecting, assembling, and painting models can essentially drain every ounce of free time. That said, it is an enjoyable hobby, despite its immense frustration from time to time.

I wish I knew what had happened to our community. Where did some of our pioneers disappear too? Why has fight on! And knockspell gone dark? Where are the big names in the scene? Has the OSR quelled out, or is there still room for us old neckbeards? Maybe we'll never know.

As to the blog here, I'd like to rekindle it as my love of table top role playing has and will never completely die out. So, hopefully 2013 will mark a resurgence with this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. I agree with your article, this really helped me. I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot. Good website.

    ibcbet

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very exciting blog post, I have been looking for this know how. Just so you recognize I located your blog when I was finding for sites like my own, so please look at my site anytime and write me a short review to let me know how you feel.

    Cardsharing Server | Cccam Server | Best Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, the spam!

    I think Calithena is burnt out along the way, I think. He's occasionally posting on the forum and seems to be fighting on! http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/9268/good-day-office

    Matt Finch is busy for Frog God Games. http://swordsandwizardry.blogspot.ch/ and this post in particular. http://swordsandwizardry.blogspot.ch/2013/04/knockspell-magazine-re-beginning.html

    I'm also interested in maintaining the Old School RPG Planet.
    http://campaignwiki.org/planet/
    I've recently kicked out a lot of blogs that had 90 days of inactivity, though... :)

    ReplyDelete